Project #3: Remediation

5 years ago

479 words

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sJA7lqAabThEIVqnmmgLomuyMAENDHdF/view

I chose to make a video for my third project because videos are much more engaging to a viewer. Nowadays the internet is filled with educational videos that help alert people to certain subtle dangers and/or risks that exist in the real world. Many of these videos help bring to light societal issues that otherwise would not have been discussed in the public forums. For example, the show “Adam Ruins Everything” on TruTV exists just to help inform unaware people of certain issues that should be taken into account when going through daily lives. I could have chosen to create some sort of fake infomercial about social media usage on young teenagers but I felt that it would have taken away with the seriousness of the issue. My original idea was to create something humorous but I ultimately avoided that since the only way I could create such content regarding my research was through satirical humor. Whenever I am exposed to satirical humor, I find that I often end up overlooking the gravity of the topics that the piece was trying to convey. I always end up focusing primarily on the humor and forgetting the actual issue. Due to this, I chose to create a more serious and straightforward video in order to properly get my point across.

My video in particular is very similar to the videos that the Youtube channel “ASAPScience” produces. They post videos that answer certain questions or discuss topical issues. I chose to recreate their style of video due to how simple yet effective it is. By drawing on a whiteboard, you have much more control over creation of the visuals. The calm and simple theme placed in the background of the videos help fill the voice that the narration doesn’t. “ASAPScience” has garnered a rather large audience (8.3 million subscribers) with these fun videos so I believed that copying their style of work would allow me to engage the audience the way their videos engage theirs. Since the structure of the videos are similar to a research essay format, it fit in quite nicely with my second project. Both start out with an intro that hooks the viewers then discusses studies or findings that support their ideas. Then the video is concluded with an overall thesis. This type of video is amusing to most audiences, meaning I could reach a higher amount of people by choosing this style. This style particularly attracts younger audiences. The simple wording and colorful visuals help keep children entertained and focused on the content. Children often lose their focus due to their innate curiosity and high energy. By using this style, I will be able to reach the audience that my topic was aimed towards: the younger generation and the risk associated with their high social media usage.